Sunday 12 October 2014

The Brave Girl vs The Bitter Girl


“You’re so brave and free-spirited!” I smiled sadly at my friend, sipping on some more coffee. How I wish that were true, I thought to myself.

You see, I seem to have lost all hope. Now, don’t get too worried about me –I do this often; I will pursue a potential cure for my illness, get my hopes up high, see them dashed, cry for a day or two, and then go back to square one. And I will find something else, and I will get my hopes up again, only to see them crumble once again. It’s a vicious cycle, and more often than not, one that leads me toward a spout of depression, during which I will lose all hope, do nothing, feel nothing but sorry for myself and the situation I find myself in, and perhaps most pronounced of all, I will feel this overwhelming sense of bitterness toward everything and everyone. I write this week's post on the back end of one of these episodes, and so I apologise in advance for the upsetting post.

Bitterness. It’s not a great feeling, and unfortunately for me, it’s a feeling I feel all too often. I see my friends and family achieve so much in their lives, both professional and personal, and I will feel so proud and happy for them, and then within a split second, I will feel bitterness – not toward them or their achievement, but toward myself and my debilitating situation which leaves me unable to accomplish what I once hoped to. My friends have gone on to accomplish so much since completing our degrees – they’ve found jobs, having completed PGCs and Masters, and what have I done with my degree? Nothing. Absolutely nothing. My certificate is filed away in a folder, of no use to anyone. I started a second degree in Islamic Studies, completed one semester, and then found out I was starting chemotherapy, and so that project got shelved too. Nothing seems to amount to anything, and it’s a very depressing situation to be in.

And that’s nothing compared to the personal turmoil Faisal and I find ourselves in. Our lives have screeched to a halt, and where we see all our friends move on with their lives, get married, have children, we find ourselves stuck. Anyone who knows me even a little bit, knows the one thing I wanted most in life – to be a mum. And it’s that one thing which seems like it’s never going to happen. I see pregnant women in town or pass a shop displaying children’s clothes and I’m reminded of the greatest loss this diagnosis has brought me. And on particularly bad days, I sit and do nothing but cry, and even that doesn’t help. The longing is worse than the bitterness, the fear outweighs every ounce of bravery and the bleak future overshadows any hope.

And then it’s time to go out into the world again, and I wipe away the tears and once again put on this facade of the brave, free-spirited girl who just happens to be fighting cancer.

Lesson of the Day:
- I have no lesson this week – if I did, I would be the first to implement it and you wouldn’t be reading this rather depressing post. But this week has just been one of those weeks – where you just don’t feel like fighting anymore, and rather than pretend like it's been anything else, I thought I'd write honestly. Here's hoping next week is better. 

2 comments:

  1. Salaams sis -

    I don't know what to say - i can certainly sympathize with the ups and downs, the days of depression/frustration, though in my case it's not the same flavor given your diagnosis and what's followed. (for me, professional mostly, though since I'm a guy, pretty much means personal as well). I too am stuck, as I see friends having a SECOND baby, moving forward in life and having the experiences which no doubt you both yearn to have as well.

    I pray and hope that you will somehow find a cure or at least a point where you could resume the plans you have for yourself (I have no doubt you will be a top notch mum) - While I can't imagine the anguish you feel in this regard - please don't lose hope - keep fighting and getting through the inevitable bouts of sadness/depression (which you seem to be doing already) - a close family friend in India was struggling with her health and in particular trying to conceive as a result, but she recently had a child. Don't if that will help at all...

    One thing I try to remind myself of is Allah's Plan and putting Trust in it, though admittedly, I'm not always good at that, but I know you know all that, so I won't bother with saying anymore.

    I'll be praying for you and in the meantime, lots of brotherly love and positive vibes from over the ol Pond.

    -Anees bhai

    ReplyDelete
  2. Didn't find the "Leave a comment" link on the more recent post, so I'll just add a comment here:

    wow, that must have been so scary and I guess some of the things I said above may be negated given what I learned from your consultation visit...wow, mets to the lungs and the surgical option sounds quite extensive and scary to be honest. But we heard the brave girl in that post ma'sha'allah - the lesson you shared from that is a great one - but again, I don't know what to say as far as your plans (esp reproductive ones)...just hearing lung mets was so scary to me...but the fact you were able to find that silver lining, was inspiring. My Amma often reminds me of that when we talk about life etc.

    Anyways, you have so much of my respect and admiration, wallahi.

    Just really proud of how you are handling this - because it is isn't pretty of course and I'm not sure I could be that strong if I were in your shoes...

    -Anees

    ReplyDelete