Sunday 9 November 2014

The Reality.


“The pain is killing me!” I complained, holding onto my leg.  
“Go take some pain killers.” Faisal replied.
“No, I mean literally killing me. There is a tumour in my pelvis, and it is killing me.”

My hilarious joke fell on deaf ears, as Faisal gave me one of his ‘shouldn’t you know better?’ looks (which I later learnt was actually his ‘what are you going on about’ looks, as he hadn’t understood the joke).  

It wasn’t the first time I had cracked a rather inappropriate joke about my illness, although in all fairness, a lot of people act like I’m completely okay, not least of all the team at the Teenage and Young Adults ward at the Macmillan centre at UCLH. Now, don’t get me wrong, they are a lovely bunch; the doctors, nurses and the volunteers who are present almost every day, doing activities with the patients and their families, but sometimes it comes across like these activities are part of a plan to distract the patients from what really is going on. Every couple of weeks there will be a new project to work on, and everyone will be encouraged to join in and contribute.

So one day, whilst doing one of these activities (poem writing, which I was successfully pulled into doing, although rather disappointingly, I lost the poems after writing them), one of the other patients made his way over to our table. I had seen him once before, but had not gotten round to sharing names or stories. Clearly he was a very popular figure amongst the volunteers, as they all immediately got up and started chatting with him, and asking about other patients. I wasn’t eavesdropping – I promise I wasn’t – but when one of the volunteers asked him about a certain patient, he went quiet, and whispered ‘She passed away.’ The group went silent, as if paying their respects.

It was then, after a long time, that I was reminded of how serious my situation was. No, this wasn’t just some illness I was living with, and it definitely wasn’t some illness I should forget about. This was life-threatening. And no matter how much I try to distract myself, the reality of the situation is this – I am terminally ill, and there is nothing that can be done about it.

Lesson of the Day:
- It is easy to lose track of reality, but it will catch up with you, and when it does, just make sure you’ve prepared yourself. 

10 comments:

  1. why get married so young? this is the result

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whats the result? That she has a loving, helpful and educated husband who has been with her since the beginning? Because you clearly cant be talking about her illness. Douche.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Salaam sis Naila - Previous post (hike) made me chuckle several times, it's amazing how you are able to keep your sense of humor intact despite what you are facing. Of course, this post, made my heart sink - looking at your photo in the upper right, that gentle smile, it breaks my heart to know that sweet face is going through so much.

    Again, you are a brave soul ma'sha'allah - though I guess you have no choice but to keep pushing despite the long-term outlook. I don't know what the expectancy is for you, but either way, it's just mind-blowing to me. Please know that you have my utmost admiration....

    And WTH? @ first comment?? People these days...uff. Faisal is a a real stud (read: a real man, unlike so many out there) of a guy clearly - ma'sha'allah for that too.

    It's an honor to be able to hear about your adventures and ups and downs - thanks so much for sharing all this with us. No doubt this will help others now and later, when they face a challenging situation in life...

    Again, lots of brotherly love and du'as.

    ReplyDelete
  4. No sis please don't stress ur self. Ur happiness is more important remember Allah (swt ) loves u sooooo much that why He (Swt ) is testing u ♥

    ReplyDelete
  5. Salaam sis

    Been reading your posts, got quite emotional... Allah make eaSe for u inshAllah

    Please have a read of the following and consider exploring some ruhaani treatment taken from a methodology based on the quran and sunnah- the sheikh we know who treated people has said he has been working with long term ill patients too

    Allah knows best - but please consider

    Lots of duas - from a sister that makes lots of dua for u

    ReplyDelete
  6. Salaam sis

    Been reading your posts, got quite emotional... Allah make eaSe for u inshAllah

    Please have a read of the following and consider exploring some ruhaani treatment taken from a methodology based on the quran and sunnah-

    http://benhalimaabderraouf.fr/index.php/en/the-ruqyah

    the sheikh we know who treated people has said he has been working with long term ill patients too

    Allah knows best - but please consider

    Lots of duas - from a sister that makes lots of dua for u

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. JazakAllah khair for your dua, may Allah swt accept it from you and me, ameen <3

      Delete
    2. Wow, just came across your instagram by chance and it led me to your blog. I have no words, well none that would help you in anyway, but I'm in awe of how you are dealing with this. Yes you'll have the lows behind closed doors but that's part and parcel. As a stranger, I'm so proud of you, I can only imagine how your loved ones must feel.
      I can't cure cancer (unfortunately), but if there's anything I can ever do for you, be it physical tasks or just mental support, I'll try my best and make that journey to you. Weird coming from someone you don't know, but this is how Humanity will unite.

      I'm sure you're an inspiration to so many Cancer patients. Xxx

      Delete
  7. Everyone please ignore the first comment. Probably some uneducated, western bigot. Who thinks everyone needs to get married at 40 like they do! The Muslim family structure is far better than the West will ever have in sha Allah.
    We look after our women - alhumdu lillah.

    ReplyDelete