Sunday 31 August 2014

The End, Finally.

“Well done!! Didn’t expect anything less.” “Yeah, I knew you would, no big deal.” “So, when’s the party?” Just some of the replies I received after telling my family I had passed my final year exams. Not that it was a big deal for anyone else, but for myself – well, it was huge.

You see, two weeks before my final year exams, I was diagnosed with a very rare type of cancer. It was incurable. If someone had told me then that I would complete my university education, I would have laughed. Actually no, I probably would have wailed and thrown tear and snot soaked tissues in their face. I did that a lot, back then (everyone was on guard). A lot of people deterred me from starting my education again; they told me to concentrate my time and energy on things that ‘really counted’.

Of course, what ‘really counts’ to someone, may not be that important to someone else. And so, after a break of about two weeks, with Faisal's support, I started my Psychology degree again. I didn’t attend university as much as I did before the diagnosis, or sit and study as much, but I soldiered on. I sat exams at different times from my friends so finished university a month after they had graduated (which consequently resulted in them being blocked on whatsapp. It had to be done, them with all their end of exam celebrations and graduation preparations!)

Poor Faisal bore the brunt of the majority of the side effects associated with the decision – he helped me around the house as best he could (although I’m pretty sure he purposefully messed things up so I wouldn’t ask him to do them again). He also helped me cook, and he’s a pretty good cook - when he’s in the mood (again, pretty sure when he’s not in the mood he purposefully messes up so I get frustrated and send him away from the kitchen).

But we got through it. Results day for me wasn’t like everyone else’s – I wasn’t glued to my computer screen, or whatsapping my friends as soon as the results were out. I was actually shopping with my older brother, eating a Gregg’s pastry, when I thought ‘You know what, let me check if my results are out.’ And they were. And I was ecstatic – I had achieved a First, and the chaotic few months had paid off.

Lesson of the day:
- It’s one of the biggest clichés in the book – but that won’t stop me from using it: Hard work pays off. Determination is what got me through my degree, and although it was the hardest thing I had ever attempted, it was well worth it in the end.
- If something is important to you, take a stand for it. Listen patiently to others, but at the end of the day, do what you want. We all live our own lives and we must make our own decisions when it comes to what we feel is important.
- I’m pretty sure Faisal is an evil genius, with all his cunning antics around the house. Keep an eye on your men, ladies. They’re not as innocent as we think.