Sunday 17 August 2014

The Worst thing about Chemo.

So I’ve just come back from the bathroom – I was there for a good 20 minutes. (And yes, I had my phone with me. Let’s just admit we all do it). I had gone in prepared for a long visit, for there had only been that kind for the last six months or so.

You see, there are many things about having cancer that suck. The pain, the increasing number of tablets, the frequent hospital visits etc etc. And yet, there is one thing that people don’t talk about – and that’s the monstrous effect of chemo on your digestive system. Charming topic of conversation, is it not?
The truth is, that the worst consequence about being on chemo (in my opinion) is the vicious cycle of constipation – increase in laxatives - diarrhoea – decrease in laxatives – constipation. It’s never ending, and it’s a pain in the arse (pun intended).

Anyone who’s experienced either state will know what I’m talking about when I say it’s one of the worst things EVER. It’s legitimately soul crushing. No, this isn’t me being dramatic. Spending those long moments alone in the bathroom, hoping no one important calls you so you don’t have to answer them whilst sat on the toilet, straining to hear the video you’re watching because you’ve put the audio so low in the hope that no one outside hears, etc etc: these are all real world issues.

And now you all know the truth. So beware, the next time I whatsapp you, I may well be in the middle of a very important battle, the outcome of which will probably be reflected in the response I give.

Lessons of the day:
- The last six months have resulted in the accumulation of a lot of material with regards to remedies for constipation, both natural and medicinal (diarrhoea, on the other hand, stops when I stop taking the laxatives). The main ones which I have found to work for me are listed below:
Natural:
1. Honey
2. Green Tea
3. Fibre (in the form of brown, seeded bread).
Medicinal:
1. Lactulose (which I am no longer on)
2. Bisacodyl